Pursue the Most Impactful New Technologies for Consumers of Natural Gas and Renewable Natural Gas
UTD’s members fund the development, validation or demonstration of exciting new technologies and products that use natural gas and renewable natural gas in order to significantly benefit consumers, society and the environment.
- Save consumers money
- Save energy
- Enable safe, reliable, and resilient operation of end user’s equipment and energy delivery systems
- Achieve superior environmental performance
- Integrate with renewable energy sources
Concentrate on Each Member’s Customers, and Benefit from Collaboration
Each UTD utility member allocates their own individual research funds to specific UTD research projects and develop technologies that directly benefit their own customers. But all members share the results of all UTD projects and efforts, thus yielding a diversified portfolio of exciting new products and technologies.
Advance Applied Research to Make Large Market Impacts
UTD typically advances technologies that have demonstrated proof-of-concept performance, or achieved prototype or limited production scale, but may not be fully commercialized or ready for broad support through utility Energy Efficiency programs, Emerging Technology Programs, or other market transformation efforts. UTD works closely with manufacturers (including under licensing agreements, as needed) to accelerate natural gas technology commercialization and market impact.
Partner With Other Leading Organizations
UTD often partners with or co-funds research with universities, manufacturers, other research organizations, and federal, state, and local government agencies such as:
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of Defense
- California Energy Commission
- Multiple Air Quality Management Districts in California
- Canada's Natural Gas Innovation Fund™
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority
- Minnesota Conservation Applied Research and Development program
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
This benefits UTD’s members and their customers by:
- Multiplying their research funds with significant public sector funds
- Leveraging national or regional initiatives that can yield both local and global impacts
- Advancing member’s customers to be early adopters of beneficial new products in field demonstration projects
Manufacturers, universities, government laboratories, and others also benefit from partnering with UTD’s utility members and their very large customer base, and working with UTD as a non-commercial, non-profit 501(c)(6).
Leverage an Open Innovation Mindset - - Submit Your Idea!
UTD is always looking for great new ideas, technologies, and research partners. Do you have a mid-development-stage applied R&D idea or product/technology that can significantly benefit consumers of natural gas or renewable natural gas and the environment? If you’d like to potentially work with UTD, please contact us via email@example.com. You’re welcome to include a one-page, non-confidential description of:
- Your research idea or technology, and what need or opportunity it addresses related to using natural gas
- Your organization
- The current status of your idea or technology, and potential next steps to advance it
Thank you for considering to work with UTD. You’ll receive an acknowledgement that we’ve received your e-mail, and we look forward to speaking with you. We may ask you to consider signing a non-disclosure agreement, if additional information is needed for UTD to make decisions about your idea or technology.
UTD typically reviews new projects in one major funding cycle per year - - prioritizing ideas in September and then funding proposals in March. For a deeper understanding of UTD’s research focus and market impact, you can review these documents: